Woodford Reserve Turf Classic S. (gr. I)

(gr. IT , 9f ,)

EINSTEIN (BRZ) (DK B/ h, 124 lb) $333,149
Spend a Buck —Gay Charm (BRZ) , by Ghadeer (FR)
B—Fazenda Mondesir, BRZ.; O—Cunningham, Patricia and Green, Lessee, Melissa; T—Helen Pitts

Out of Control (BRZ) (B h, 119 lb) $107,466
Vettori (IRE) —Heavenly Dancer (BRZ) , by Fitzcarraldo (ARG)
B—Stud TNT, BRZ.; O—Stud TNT; T—Robert J. Frankel

Artiste Royal (IRE) (B r, 124 lb) $53,733
Danehill —Agathe , by Manila
B—Dayton Investments LTD., IRE.; O—David Heerensperger; T—Neil D. Drysdale

Margins: 1, 1, 1. Others: Yate's Black Cat 117($26,866) , Duveen 119($16,120) , Thorn Song 119($5,483) , Golden Balls (IRE) 117($5,483) . Winning Jockey, Robby Albarado.

Brazilian-bred Einstein proved his third try was a charm in the May 3 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs when he registered a one-length victory and graduated to millionaire status in the process.

Owned by Patricia Cunningham and Melissa Green, Einstein failed to hit the board in his previous two Turf Classic attempts, but was still favored in this yearÕs running of the $548,300 race. The striking dark bay/or brown son of Spend a Buck earned that status with a victory in the Feb. 23 Gulfstream Park Turf Stakes (gr. IT) and a runner-up effort in the April 11 MakerÕs Mark Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland.

Conditioned by Helen Pitts, a former assistant to Kenny McPeek, Einstein has now won eight of 18 career starts. He ran fourth in the 2006 Turf Classic and finished seventh in last yearÕs renewal.

McPeek bought seven Brazilian-bred yearlings for $60,000 on behalf of attorneys William Gallion and Shirley CunninghamÕs Midnight Cry Stables, and Einstein, who was part of the package, arrived in the United States in 2004.

In his last two starts, Einstein has run in the names of Green and CunninghamÕs wife, Patricia, since Gallion and Cunningham are currently incarcerated over a complicated legal scandal.

Midnight Cry Stables still owns a 20% share in reigning Horse of the Year Curlin, who most recently won the March 29 Emirates Airline Dubai World Cup (UAE-I). Jess JacksonÕs Stonestreet Stables owns the remaining 80% of the colt, who was formerly trained by Pitts.

Bred by Fazenda Mondesir, Einstein is out of the Ghadeer mare Gay Charm, a dual group I winner in her native Brazil. Gay Charm is a daughter of the Waldmeister mare Virga, who scored her major victory in the Grande Premio de Diana-Brazilian One Thousand Guineas (Brz-I).

Gay Charm was additionally successful in the breeding shed. Besides Einstein, she is the dam of group I producer Charm Us (by Clackson), group III producer Feiticeira Regina (by Roi Normand), and group III-placed runner Veracite (by Roy).

Einstein is Gay CharmÕs last reported foal.

Spend a Buck is the sire of 38 stakes winners. The 1985 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner died in 2002 at age 20 from anaphylactic shock while standing at stud in Brazil.ÑE.M.