Lovely Day repelled the strong late charge of Denim and Ruby and landed his first group I win June 28 in the Takarazuka Kinen at Hanshin while overwhelming favorite Gold Ship missed the break and finished next to last.
Kazumi Yoshida's Maurice gave a career defining performance June 7 in the Yasuda Kinen (Jpn-I) at Tokyo racecourse, stamping himself Japan's top miler this spring.
The runner-up in last year's Queen Elizabeth II Cup (Jpn-I), Lachesis proved best in this year's edition Nov. 16 when winning by neck from Japanese Oaks (Jpn-I) victress Nuovo Record at Kyoto.
Harp Star completed an eye-catching last to first rally in the Oka Sho (Jpn, I, Japanese One Thousand Guineas), a stylish victory that kicked off the classic season in Japan April 13 at Hanshin Racecourse.
Japan's champion sprinter Lord Kanaloa ended his illustrious career on a high note after being voted the Japan Racing Association's 2013 Horse of the Year.
Red Reveur kept her perfect record intact Dec. 8 when holding back hard-charging race favorite Harp Star by a nose in a rousing finish to the Hanshin Juvenile Fillies (Jpn-I).
Gentildonna romped to victory in the Yushun Himba (Jpn-I), or Japanese Oaks, in race-record time at Tokyo Racecourse May 20, giving the 3-year-old the first two jewels of the nation's Triple Crown for fillies.
Captain Thule went to the lead and never looked back, comfortably winning the US$1,606,000 Satsuki Sho (Jpn-I), or Japanese Two Thousand Guineas, in an upset before 67,401 at Nakayama Racecourse April 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Nancy From Nairobi Wins Royal Heroine
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Lady Aurelia Awaits Queen Mary at Ascot
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby