Popular Ben's Cat won the battle but lost the war when Talk Show Man caught the gallant favorite in the final strides of the $126,250 Maryland Million Turf Oct. 19 at Laurel Park.
Lightly regarded Bandbox swept six-wide into the stretch and accelerated clear to an open-length win in the $250,000 General George Handicap (gr. III) Feb. 17 at Laurel Park.
Bowie-based Dance to Bristol was honored in a retirement ceremony by the Maryland Jockey Club between the fourth and fifth races Nov. 16 at Laurel Park following her stellar 4-year-old campaign.
- By BloodHorse Staff
- Thoroughbred Racing, Thoroughbred Breeding, Northeast Region, Mid-Atlantic Region
Dance to Bristol, who won seven consecutive stakes this year to earn a trip to the Breeders' Cup, will be honored with a retirement ceremony at Laurel Park Nov. 16.
Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (gr. I) contender Dance to Bristol put in her final work at the Bowie Training Center Oct. 25, going five furlongs in a bullet :58 3/5.
Dance to Bristol ran her winning streak to seven races with her first grade I tally in the $500,000 Ballerina Stakes, staving off favored Book Review by a head with determination Aug. 23 at Saratoga Race Course.
Dance to Bristol has answered every question asked in her past six starts by delivering six wins. She faces a bigger task in the Aug. 23 Ballerina Stakes (gr. I) against 10 others including Starship Truffles and Book Review.
Coming from off the pace in the $200,000 Honorable Miss Handicap (gr. II) at Saratoga Race Course, Susan Wantz's Dance to Bristol extended her win streak to six with her July 29 victory.
Dance to Bristol danced to an easy victory in her first graded stakes attempt, the June 15 Bed o' Roses Handicap (gr. III) at Belmont Park, when she seized the lead just outside the eighth pole and prevailed by 2 3/4 lengths.
Dance to Bristol, giving the biggest effort of her career, waltzed to a nine-length romp in the $200,000 Sugar Maple Stakes at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races April 20.
In what jockey Xavier Perez called a wild ride, Spicer Cub bolted twice but kept running 'between the parked starting gate and the outside rail' to just miss winning the final race April 13 at Pimlico Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal