Michael Wrona will fill in for Trevor Denman as the Oak Tree Racing Association's track announcer at Santa Anita Park Oct. 28-29. Denman will be in New York, fulfilling a network television commitment on NBC with the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships.
Golden Gate Fields' brief 29-day spring season begins Wednesday featuring the distinctive and familiar voice of Australian Michael Wrona, who has returned to the announcer's booth after a five-year absence.
- By Gary West
Michael Wrona, widely considered one of the premier announcers in the country, won't be calling races at Lone Star Park this year. He and Lone Star were unable to agree on a contract.
A modest man of proper etiquette and meticulous with language, Fair Grounds race caller Michael Wrona is forced to admit that he has a special gift. "Calling the races is not a job for everybody," Wrona says, clicking the toggle switch to the public address system.
Most Popular Stories
- Gunnevera Draws Outside for Florida Derby
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Trainer, Racing Official Daniel Dufford Dies at 66
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- What's Going On Here: Beyond Imagination
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Kentucky Horse Park to Celebrate Man 'o War