Michael Wrona will fill in for Trevor Denman as the Oak Tree Racing Association's track announcer at Santa Anita Park Oct. 28-29. Denman will be in New York, fulfilling a network television commitment on NBC with the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships.
Golden Gate Fields' brief 29-day spring season begins Wednesday featuring the distinctive and familiar voice of Australian Michael Wrona, who has returned to the announcer's booth after a five-year absence.
- By Gary West
Michael Wrona, widely considered one of the premier announcers in the country, won't be calling races at Lone Star Park this year. He and Lone Star were unable to agree on a contract.
A modest man of proper etiquette and meticulous with language, Fair Grounds race caller Michael Wrona is forced to admit that he has a special gift. "Calling the races is not a job for everybody," Wrona says, clicking the toggle switch to the public address system.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park