Twice grade III-placed Uncle Sigh breezed four furlongs in :49.54 on the Oklahoma training track Tuesday, July 21, at Saratoga Race Course as the son of Indian Charlie prepares for his first start in more than a year.
Four days before the Saturday race, most of the trainers with horses in the classic shared a stage and a laugh or two at the annual Kentucky Derby Trainers Dinner.
"This horse has got the mind for a Derby horse," Gary Contessa remarked. "He'll walk into that stadium and there'll be 150,000 people there...and he'll be like 'Yeah, this is cool...whatever.' "
Consignor Danzel Brendemuehl goes into the juvenile sales season bolstered by successes of recent stakes winners Wildcat Red, Uncle Sigh, and Sushi Empire, among others.
Devious Intent, who defeated multiple champion Groupie Doll last summer, brought a price of $350,000 from Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings to top the Feb. 9 opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale.
In what has proved to be a robust season for 2-year-olds in training sales, buyers continued to demonstrate a willingness to spend on quality juvenile prospects during the final session of the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale.
Spendthrift Farm stallion Malibu Moon was represented by two of the seven co-bullet workers who sped an eighth of a mile in 10 seconds flat during Fasig-Tipton's under tack show at Palm Meadows Training Center March 22.
Most Popular Stories
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage