The Jockey Club of Canada's Graded Stakes Committee held its annual review of the graded and listed stakes in Canada and while the number of graded stakes in Canada remains unchanged at 43 there is one notable downgrade.
Inglorious, the 2011 recipient of Canada's Sovereign Award for champion 3-year-old filly has been retired. She is one of only five fillies to capture both the Woodbine Oaks and the Queen's Plate.
A recent outbreak of EHV-1 at Woodbine Racetrack, has caused Park Stud to end the breeding this year for all its stallions. There has been no detection of the virus at Park Stud, closing early is a preventative measure.
Woodbine in Ontario, Canada, has been re-accredited by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association Safety and Integrity Alliance, officials announced April 2.
How long will racino operators, legislators support racing's side of the business? read blog
The NTRA announced March 29 that Woodbine Racetrack has been fully accredited by the NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance. The Ontario, Canada track received 'best practice' ratings in several areas.
The Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (Ontario Division) unveiled the 2008 Thoroughbred Improvement Program (TIP), following approval of the Ontario Racing Commission. Valued at $9.6 million, the TIP includes increases in breeders award distributions, overnight stakes races, and the introduction of a new OSS stakes award program.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts