Milwaukee Brew's turf heritage has probably been an advantage in Canada, as the country's richest races are conducted on Polytrack and turf at Woodbine.
Two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan continued to progress toward his season debut, turning in an easy five-furlong breeze in 1:00 3/5 under regular rider Damien Rock April 1 at Keeneland.
The pedigree of Midnight Hawk, on the surface a mating between two sprinters, actually shows a nice balance between speed and stamina elements.
Bear No Joke caught reigning Canadian champion sprinter and pacesetter Essence Hit Man in midstretch and edged past for a 17-1 upset victory in the Kennedy Road Stakes (Can-II) Nov. 30 at Woodbine.
by Anne Peters
It's unusual when a turf horse gets recognition beyond his favorite surface, so for Wise Dan to be voted champion turf male of 2012, champion older male, and Horse of the Year shows how dominating he is.
Charlie Lopresti sent top Breeders' Cup Mile contender Wise Dan through an Oct. 20 breeze at Keeneland in preparation for his upcoming bid at the World Championships, and the versatile runner responded with usual alacrity.
Central Kentucky stallion Wolf Power, a Horse of the Year in his native South Africa, died Nov. 15 in his stall at Graham J. Beck's Gainesway Farm near Lexington
A weanling colt from the first crop of Yankee Victor brought a top price of $320,000 during Friday's session of Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale.
A colt by Elusive Quality and a filly by Wolf Power each brought $95,000, highest price of Friday's session of Keeneland's September Yearling Sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6
- End of Road for ‘Claiming Rule’ Challenge
- Woolf Award Finalists Announced
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Thoroughbred Makeover Accepting Applications
- Greatbullsoffire Tops Futurity
- Bowman Wins Hong Kong Jockey Championship
- Innovative Wagers Help Racetracks with Handle