Led by $310,000 broodmare prospect Lady Kierkegaard, Keeneland's January sale continued its solid performance and posted gains across the board on day three.
Eblouissante, a half sister to Horse of the Year Zenyatta, captivated attendees of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale when the daughter of Bernardini commanded a price of $2.1 million Nov. 5.
Eric Kronfeld, who made his mark in both the music and racing inudstries, died May 15 of cancer in New York. Kronfeld, under his Maverick Productions, bred Zenyatta, one of the most popular racehorses in history.
For awhile it appeared that Eric Kronfeld was snakebit when it came to his grade I stakes-winning mare Nereid. But the mare lit up the bid board at the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale, selling for $1.3 million.
The Fasig-Tipton New York-bred preferred yearling sale enjoyed some big upswings in its key business figures on its opening night, Aug. 13, in upstate New York.
In what could be her final start in California, the great Zenyatta remained undefeated with her 18th consecutive win in rather routine fashion by a neck in the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 7 at Del Mar.
A dapper-looking son of Distorted Humor was purchased by WinStar Farm, agent, for the partnership of Maverick Racing for $1 million to highlight the late afternoon session of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Del Mar Addressing Safety, Field Size Concerns
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Solis to Evaluate Future Following Surgery
- Secretariat Photo Album
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- TVG Plans Special Coverage, Events at Saratoga
- Migliore Joins XBTV's Digital Media Team
- Remembering Ben's Cat
- Look Back: Shuvee Completes a Filly Triple Crown
- Leatherbury, Maryland Racing Mourn Ben's Cat