Owner and trainer William E. "Billy" Morey had been added to the board of directors of the Thoroughbred Owners of California, filling a vacancy created recently by the resignation of Ron McAnally.
Grade II winner Meteore was euthanized after fracturing his right ankle in an allowance race at Golden Gate Fields April 2.
Trainer William E. Morey says he can't see sending California Derby winner Positive Response with heavily favored Comma to the Top in the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) Feb. 12 at Golden Gate Fields.
Favored Positive Response seized the lead on the final turn and ran away with the $100,000 California Derby for his third consecutive victory at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 15.
William E. Morey earned his 1,000th career training victory Nov. 11 at Golden Gate Fields when his 7-year-old gray mare Sports Edition captured the seventh race.
William E. Morey ended a string of 32 consecutive training titles won by Jerry Hollendorfer at Golden Gate Fields as the East Bay track's 30-day spring meeting came to a close June 22.
William E. Morey scored a training triple Wednesday at Bay Meadows when he sent out the winners of the second, third, and seventh races.
Jockey David Lopez, who suffered a slight head concussion when he fell in a race Sunday, returned to ride claimer Smoke Till Dawn to a six-furlong track record at Golden Gate Fields Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Sisterly Love Scores Doubledogdare Upset
- Mine That Bird Still Flies in Kentucky
- Speightstown Colt Works Quick Quarter at OBS
- Indiana Grand Racing & Casino Begins New Era
- Churchill Derby, Oaks Security Plan Released
- TimeformUS Saturday Stakes Plays
- Samraat, Uncle Sigh Work at Belmont
- A Case for Full Siblings
- Oaklawn Posts Double-Digit Handle Gains
- Mike Mitchell to Step Down as Head Trainer