Northern California trainer William J. Morey Jr., a member of the California Thoroughbred Breeders' Association Hall of Fame, died April 10 after a long battle with cancer.
Owner and trainer William E. "Billy" Morey had been added to the board of directors of the Thoroughbred Owners of California, filling a vacancy created recently by the resignation of Ron McAnally.
Grade II winner Meteore was euthanized after fracturing his right ankle in an allowance race at Golden Gate Fields April 2.
Trainer William E. Morey says he can't see sending California Derby winner Positive Response with heavily favored Comma to the Top in the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) Feb. 12 at Golden Gate Fields.
Favored Positive Response seized the lead on the final turn and ran away with the $100,000 California Derby for his third consecutive victory at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 15.
William E. Morey earned his 1,000th career training victory Nov. 11 at Golden Gate Fields when his 7-year-old gray mare Sports Edition captured the seventh race.
William E. Morey ended a string of 32 consecutive training titles won by Jerry Hollendorfer at Golden Gate Fields as the East Bay track's 30-day spring meeting came to a close June 22.
William E. Morey scored a training triple Wednesday at Bay Meadows when he sent out the winners of the second, third, and seventh races.
Jockey David Lopez, who suffered a slight head concussion when he fell in a race Sunday, returned to ride claimer Smoke Till Dawn to a six-furlong track record at Golden Gate Fields Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Tirico to Host NBC's Triple Crown Coverage
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo