Evangeline Downs concluded its 84-day Thoroughbred racing season Aug. 29 with Karl Broberg and Colby Hernandez dominating from the start of the meet and taking the respective trainer and jockey titles.
Multiple grade I winner Giant Oak was represented by his first winner when Giant Cruiser won a $24,000 maiden special weight race at Evangeline Downs.
Humana Distaff (gr. I) winner Dame Dorothy is scheduled to make her first start since that May 2 victory when she faces an expected seven other older fillies and mares in the $150,000 Bed o' Roses Handicap (gr. III).
Whispering Oaks Farm's Street Story easily went by favored Spring Included to take the $100,000 Winning Colors Stakes (gr. III) May 25 at Churchill Downs.
An Ohio-bred colt by Flatter sold to Carrol Castille's Whispering Oaks Farm for $280,000 to top the opening session of Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s spring sale of 2-year-olds in training April 21 in Ocala, Fla.
Taking advantage of a torrid pace, Street Story came from well off the pace for a 1 3/4-length triumph over Miss Behaviour in the $150,000 Victory Ride Stakes at Belmont Park June 29.
The new five-member partnership will offered full-service consignment and bloodstock services.
Street Story got the Oaklawn Park meet off to a fast start for 2013 leading jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. and trainer Steve Asmussen by winning the $100,000 Dixie Belle Stakes before a rain-drenched crowd of 15,031 Jan. 10.
Closing Argument, a top 10 leading third-crop sire of 2011, has moved to Whispering Oaks Farm near Carnecro, La. for the 2012 breeding season. The son of Successful Appeal will stand for $5,000.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup