Boosted by quality offerings in the dispersal of Al and Nora Figliolia's Westbury Stables, the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. fall mixed sale enjoyed major upswings in gross of 48.3% and average price of 27.8% from a year ago.
The gross revenue rose 75.3% while the average price grew 41.9%. The median price was up 25%.
The Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. has cataloged 677 horses for its fall mixed sale, which will be held Oct. 19-20 in Central Florida.
Mr. and Mrs. William Warren's Denis of Cork, who was third in the 2008 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and second in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I), has been retired, trainer David Carroll said Jan. 22.
Breeders Alfonso and Nora Figliolia of Westbury Stables had seven foals in their crop of 2005. From that small group emerged two horses that are scheduled to run this weekend in Churchill Downs' premier races.
Aurora Springs Stable's Awesome Chic used a perfect ground-saving trip under Irwin Rosendo, took over at the top of the stretch, and drew away to win the $200,000 Florida Oaks (gr. III) by 4 1/2 commanding lengths March 15 at Tampa Bay Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Z Capital Partners Purchases Parent Company of DRF
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes