Intello, winner of the 2013 Prix du Jockey Club (French Derby, G1) and a freshman sire, got his first winner with his first starter May 25 when his daughter Sonjeu took a maiden race by 2 1/2 lengths at Tarbes Racecourse.
In the Royal Ascot opener Tuesday, June 16, favored Solow delivered a rousing victory in the $585,000 Queen Anne Stakes (Eng-I), extending his win streak to seven races, including three straight group I victories.
Head began his assault on the storied grass race in 1987-88, riding Miesque, then saddled Goldikova to three consecutive victories in 2008-10 after beginning a training career. Now, Goldikova's full brother could step up.
Silentio, a lightly-raced son of Japanese-bred stallion Silent Name, registered victory in his stakes debut in the $150,750 Sir Beaufort (gr. IIT) on the turf at Santa Anita Park on opening day of the winter meet.
European challenger Goldikova, undefeated in her previous three starts in French group races, won the Breeders' Cup Mile with a thrilling burst of speed in mid-stretch. Trainer Freddie Head becomes the first person to win a Breeders' Cup World Championship race as a jockey(Miesque, 1987-88) and now as a trainer.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training