Pensioned stallion and Florida champion Wekiva Springs was euthanized at Don Dizney's Double Diamond Farm June 2 due to cancer.
The Bob Baffert-trained Apalachian Thunder, who finished third in the $500,000 WinStar Derby on March 30, will run in the $100,000 California Derby at Bay Meadows Saturday.
Ha Pa Da, a 5-year-old winning daughter of Wekiva Springs, brought the top price of $35,000 Sunday during Fasig-Tipton Midlantic winter mixed sale in Timonium, Md.
Donald Dizney's homebred Apalachian Thunder defeated a promising field of 3-year-olds that included Atswhatimtalknbout and Listen Indy in Friday's $56,000 allowance feature at Santa Anita.
Millionaire Wekiva Springs will return to his birthplace, Donald Dizney's Double Diamond Farm near Ocala, Fla., to stand the 2002 breeding season.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Stream of Welfare Summit Offered July 8
- USDA Officials Address American Horse Council
- TOBA Names Top Owners, Breeders for 2014
- Big Blue Kitten Takes United Nations
- Shaman Ghost Rallies to Take Queen's Plate
- Favorite Tale Upsets Champion Work All Week
- Filly is First Winner for Albertus Maximus
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Bradester Too Strong in Salvator Mile