Pensioned stallion and Florida champion Wekiva Springs was euthanized at Don Dizney's Double Diamond Farm June 2 due to cancer.
The Bob Baffert-trained Apalachian Thunder, who finished third in the $500,000 WinStar Derby on March 30, will run in the $100,000 California Derby at Bay Meadows Saturday.
Ha Pa Da, a 5-year-old winning daughter of Wekiva Springs, brought the top price of $35,000 Sunday during Fasig-Tipton Midlantic winter mixed sale in Timonium, Md.
Donald Dizney's homebred Apalachian Thunder defeated a promising field of 3-year-olds that included Atswhatimtalknbout and Listen Indy in Friday's $56,000 allowance feature at Santa Anita.
Millionaire Wekiva Springs will return to his birthplace, Donald Dizney's Double Diamond Farm near Ocala, Fla., to stand the 2002 breeding season.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Reflects on Arrogate's Travers Romp
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- Cavorting to Distaff, Mohaymen Gets Time Off
- Belvoir Bay Makes the Grade in Torrey Pines
- Arrogate's Romp Enhances Half Sister's Value
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- War Front Gets 50th Black-Type Winner
- Strike Charmer Bests Lady Eli in Ballston Spa
- Romero Rides First Winner at Indiana Grand
- Nyquist Begins Work for Pennsylvania Derby