Morton Fink's Successful Dan could be the starting in the highweight in the $500,000 Clark Handicap (gr. I) at Churchill Downs Nov. 27. The race is at 1 1/8 miles.
Stronach Stables' Einstein, unplaced in the Nov. 7 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), was assigned top weight of 123 pounds for the Nov. 27 Clark Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs.
Two senior New York Racing Association officials, including a onetime top jockey, were indicted Sept. 21 in state court on fraud and other charges as part of a scheme in which jockey weights were fabricated at NYRA tracks.
The Jockeys' Guild approved a new scale of weights it hopes will be adopted immediately by racing secretaries nationwide. The new scale increases the minimum weight to 116 pounds. "We're mainly concerned about the minimum," said John Giovanni, national manager for the Jockeys' Guild. "Each generation of jockeys is getting bigger and bigger. People are killing themselves to make weight."
Most Popular Stories
- Agency Selected to Market American Pharoah
- Frosted Continues Working Toward Belmont
- Pletcher Horses Top Belmont Work Tab
- Hail Hooper, Hyperion
- Frosted Scheduled for Belmont Stakes Run
- Gleneagles to Try for Guineas Double
- Commentary: Unintended Consequences
- Geller to Follow Loiselle on Woodbine Mic
- American Pharoah Back on Track at Churchill
- American Pharoah to Stand at Ashford Stud