Calumet Farm's homebred Hence will attempt to get back to the winner's circle after two off-the-board finishes in the first two legs of the Triple Crown when he lines up against eight other sophomore colts in the $250,000 Iowa Derby (G3).
Running for the first time since a third behind Beholder and Songbird in the Nov. 4 Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1), the 5-year-old took down her rivals with a strong late rally in the $200,000 Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2).
Multiple grade 1 winner and last year's Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1) third place finisher Forever Unbridled is scheduled to return after seven months in the $200,000 Fleur de Lis (G2) at Churchill Downs June 17.
Janis Whitham homebred Walkabout secured her first stakes win when she rallied from ninth place and 15 1/2 lengths back under jockey Brian Hernandez Jr. to secure a neck victory in the $100,000 Matron Stakes (G3) May 20 at Churchill Downs.
The Elkstone Group's Indiana homebred Lady Fog Horn—the reigning Indiana Horse of the Year—sounded off against open company Nov. 24 at Churchill Downs with a 1 1/2-length triumph over Streamline in the $200,000 Falls City Handicap (gr. II).
- By Claire Novak
Board members of the Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association did not discuss complaints from trainers regarding an Oaks/Derby ticket provision agreement between the Kentucky HBPA and Churchill Downs at their May 15 meeting as originally planned. Instead, the Kentucky HBPA will conduct an independent investigation into the matter.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- No Sure Favorite in Woodbine's Royal North Stakes