California Chrome, the 5-year-old chestnut champion whose stellar season catapulted him to be North American racing's all-time leading earner, has been selected to receive the 2016 Secretariat Vox Populi, or "Voice of the People," Award.
Triple Crown winner American Pharoah has been selected to receive the 2015 Secretariat Vox Populi, or "Voice of the People," Award.
Voting in the online poll, which can be found at Secretariat.com, ends Dec. 6, with the public presentation to the 2015 winner scheduled for Jan. 9, 2016, at Santa Anita Park.
The connections of California Chrome are expected to be on hand at Santa Anita Park Jan. 10 when the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner is honored with the Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
After sweeping an Eclipse Award Triple Crown last year, Wise Dan once again is looking to take home the awards for Horse of the Year, Grass Male, and Older Male.
The 5-year-old son of Macho Uno was the unanimous choice among three voting bodies.
Owner Ahmed Zayat confirmed Dec. 26 that his Haskell Invitational (gr. I) winner Paynter will ship from Fair Hill Equine Therapy Center near Elkton, Md., to Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert's California barn Dec. 29.
Giant Oak, Vox Populi Award, Zazu and more from a weekend of racing! View Slideshow
Penny Chenery, who raced the great Secretariat, has announced that Horse of the Year Zenyatta will be the recipient of the inaugural Secretariat Vox Populi ("Voice of the People") Award.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off