Karin Baroness von Ullmann, a prominent German breeder/owner, died June 1 in Cologne.
- By Mark Popham
The 2008 BBAG Yearling Sale in Baden-Baden, Germany, saw 480,000 euros paid by agent Rudger Alles acting on behalf of Baron von Ullmann for a Monsun colt.
Baron Georg von Ullmann's French champion Manduro will retire to Sheikh Mohammed's Darley at the end of his racing career.
Sheikh Mohammed has entered into an agreement to purchase 2005 John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) winner Shirocco from breeder/owner Baron Georg von Ullmann and will stand the 5-year-old son of Monsun at his Dalham Hall Stud near Newmarket, England.
A decision on whether Shirocco will attempt to defend his title in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) has been delayed "until the last possible moment," according to Paul Harley, racing manager to the 5-year-old's owner breeder Baron von Ullmann.
The German-bred Shirocco opened up a big lead in the stretch of the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) and held off a late rally by Ace to win by 1 3/4 lengths. Favored Azamour was a neck back in third making for an all-European trifecta in the 1 1/2-mile, $2.09 million race at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Lopez Lets El Kabeir Be 'The Boss'
- HOF Trainer Jerkens in Intensive Care in FL
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Crimson Giant Chasing Unlikely Big 'Cap Glory
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Horses to Watch at F-T Florida Sale
- American Pharoah Tops 162 Blue Grass Nominees
- Consignors Upbeat Ahead of F-T Florida Sale
- Water Bucket Heater Caused Chanteclaire Fire