Karin Baroness von Ullmann, a prominent German breeder/owner, died June 1 in Cologne.
- By Mark Popham
The 2008 BBAG Yearling Sale in Baden-Baden, Germany, saw 480,000 euros paid by agent Rudger Alles acting on behalf of Baron von Ullmann for a Monsun colt.
Baron Georg von Ullmann's French champion Manduro will retire to Sheikh Mohammed's Darley at the end of his racing career.
Sheikh Mohammed has entered into an agreement to purchase 2005 John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) winner Shirocco from breeder/owner Baron Georg von Ullmann and will stand the 5-year-old son of Monsun at his Dalham Hall Stud near Newmarket, England.
A decision on whether Shirocco will attempt to defend his title in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) has been delayed "until the last possible moment," according to Paul Harley, racing manager to the 5-year-old's owner breeder Baron von Ullmann.
The German-bred Shirocco opened up a big lead in the stretch of the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) and held off a late rally by Ace to win by 1 3/4 lengths. Favored Azamour was a neck back in third making for an all-European trifecta in the 1 1/2-mile, $2.09 million race at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Nancy From Nairobi Wins Royal Heroine
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence