Karin Baroness von Ullmann, a prominent German breeder/owner, died June 1 in Cologne.
- By Mark Popham
The 2008 BBAG Yearling Sale in Baden-Baden, Germany, saw 480,000 euros paid by agent Rudger Alles acting on behalf of Baron von Ullmann for a Monsun colt.
Baron Georg von Ullmann's French champion Manduro will retire to Sheikh Mohammed's Darley at the end of his racing career.
Sheikh Mohammed has entered into an agreement to purchase 2005 John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) winner Shirocco from breeder/owner Baron Georg von Ullmann and will stand the 5-year-old son of Monsun at his Dalham Hall Stud near Newmarket, England.
A decision on whether Shirocco will attempt to defend his title in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) has been delayed "until the last possible moment," according to Paul Harley, racing manager to the 5-year-old's owner breeder Baron von Ullmann.
The German-bred Shirocco opened up a big lead in the stretch of the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) and held off a late rally by Ace to win by 1 3/4 lengths. Favored Azamour was a neck back in third making for an all-European trifecta in the 1 1/2-mile, $2.09 million race at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training