Apprentice rider Gonzalo Nicolas, injured at Santa Anita Park May 2, is at Huntington Memorial Hospital recovering from a fracture in his sternum in the breast plate area, according to his agent, Vince DeGregory.
The Southern California racing industry honored jockey agents Vince DeGregory, George O'Bryan, and Ivan Puhich at Santa Anita Feb. 23 for their many decades of service to the game.
Apprentice jockey Gonzalo Nicolas is expected to miss four to six weeks with a vertebrae chip on the lower part of his back when thrown at Santa Anita Jan. 2 after his mount, Shand, broke down and fell in upper stretch.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela has hired veteran California agent Jim Pegram to handle his riding engagements, replacing Tom Knust, who will continue to maintain the business for Corey Nakatani.
Jockey Danny Sorenson, sidelined since Sept. 17 with a shoulder fracture, has been cleared to ride again. He will be aboard Giovanneti in the El Canejo Handicap (gr. III) on Jan. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Z Capital Partners Purchases Parent Company of DRF
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale