Apprentice rider Gonzalo Nicolas, injured at Santa Anita Park May 2, is at Huntington Memorial Hospital recovering from a fracture in his sternum in the breast plate area, according to his agent, Vince DeGregory.
The Southern California racing industry honored jockey agents Vince DeGregory, George O'Bryan, and Ivan Puhich at Santa Anita Feb. 23 for their many decades of service to the game.
Apprentice jockey Gonzalo Nicolas is expected to miss four to six weeks with a vertebrae chip on the lower part of his back when thrown at Santa Anita Jan. 2 after his mount, Shand, broke down and fell in upper stretch.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela has hired veteran California agent Jim Pegram to handle his riding engagements, replacing Tom Knust, who will continue to maintain the business for Corey Nakatani.
Jockey Danny Sorenson, sidelined since Sept. 17 with a shoulder fracture, has been cleared to ride again. He will be aboard Giovanneti in the El Canejo Handicap (gr. III) on Jan. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Champion Groupie Doll Delivers Premature Foal
- The Big Beast, 3YOs Prep for Wood Day Starts
- Streaking Chocolate Ride Wires Mervin Muniz
- I'm a Chatterbox Sweeps to FG Oaks Victory
- War Correspondent Captures Appleton
- Secret Circle Powers Home in Golden Shaheen
- Dortmund Logs Final Work for SA Derby
- Solow All Alone in Dubai Turf