Favored Grandeur earned his second grade II win from three United States starts when he came from off the pace to capture the $250,000 Hollywood Turf Cup by three-quarters of a length at Betfair Hollywood Park Dec. 15.
Irish-bred Grandeur, with William Buick up, rallies from last after stumbling at the start Nov. 2 to win the $150,000 Twilight Derby (gr. IIT) to cap off the Breeders' Cup Friday card at Santa Anita.
Verglas, the sire of 28 stakes winners, died May 17 from an accident at the Irish National Stud.
While business was conducted on a lower scale during the third day of the Arqana yearling sale at Deauville in France Aug. 17, the final results maintained the upward momentum seen on the first two days.
The Nicolas Clement-trained Stormy River went from last to first to land the Prix Jean Prat (Fr-I) in impressive fashion at Chantilly on Sunday.
French-bred Blackdoun unleashed his powerful late run to nip Toasted and Laura's Lucky Boy by a neck in the $400,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) and remain undefeated in three United States starts for trainer Julio Canani.
Blackdoun, a colt who chased some good ones in France, won his second stakes race in as many tries at Del Mar this summer, taking the La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Roca Rojo Closes for Athenia Victory
- Seven-Time Group I Winner Buffering Retired
- Elektrum Surges at Wire to Win Dowager
- Gainesway Colts Among Hips to Watch
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Curalina, Syndergaard Breeze at Belmont