Favored Grandeur earned his second grade II win from three United States starts when he came from off the pace to capture the $250,000 Hollywood Turf Cup by three-quarters of a length at Betfair Hollywood Park Dec. 15.
Irish-bred Grandeur, with William Buick up, rallies from last after stumbling at the start Nov. 2 to win the $150,000 Twilight Derby (gr. IIT) to cap off the Breeders' Cup Friday card at Santa Anita.
Verglas, the sire of 28 stakes winners, died May 17 from an accident at the Irish National Stud.
While business was conducted on a lower scale during the third day of the Arqana yearling sale at Deauville in France Aug. 17, the final results maintained the upward momentum seen on the first two days.
The Nicolas Clement-trained Stormy River went from last to first to land the Prix Jean Prat (Fr-I) in impressive fashion at Chantilly on Sunday.
French-bred Blackdoun unleashed his powerful late run to nip Toasted and Laura's Lucky Boy by a neck in the $400,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) and remain undefeated in three United States starts for trainer Julio Canani.
Blackdoun, a colt who chased some good ones in France, won his second stakes race in as many tries at Del Mar this summer, taking the La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Blue Grass Runner-Up Medal Count Derby Bound
- Champion Producer My Flag Dies at Claiborne
- Game On Dude Arrives for Charles Town Classic
- Haskin: Art Sherman, Dave Erb 'Swap' Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 4/14/2014
- Fillies Sparkle in Furlong Drills at OBS
- 2014 Stallion Showcase
- 'A Not-To-Be-Missed Uptown Society Event'
- Barretts May Sale Catalog Now Online
- Hamilton Joins Darby Dan Farm