Keeneland's November breeding stock sale has substantial international appeal spread across all levels of the market, but it is particularly an important part of trade as the marathon auction nears the finish line.
Propelled by continuing demand for yearlings, the 2013 Keeneland September yearling sale ended its seventh session Sept. 16 with more gross sales than the entire sale achieved in 11 days last year.
Front-running Tar Heel Mom overpowered her four rivals in the $150,000 Honorable Miss Handicap (gr. II), drawing off in the stretch for a 5 3/4-length romp at Saratoga Aug. 7.
A colt by Van Nistelrooy brought a top price of $75,000 Sunday during the next-to-last session of Keeneland's record-breaking September Yearling Sale.
A fire early Wednesday morning resulted in the deaths of seven horses at Upson Downs Farm near Goshen, Ky. The farm is owned by Alex and Sarah Rankin, regular consignors at Kentucky auctions. The names of the seven horses weren't released. Alex Rankin said he arrived at the farm at 1:35 a.m. Wednesday, and the barn was burning. He said the fire apparently started sometime after midnight.
Most Popular Stories
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Freshman Flashpoint Gets His First Winner
- Maker a Triple Threat in AP Classic