Czech star and French classic-placed Shamalgan found success in Italy as he captured the Premio Vittorio di Capua (Ity-I) in convincing fashion Sept. 29 at San Siro in Milan.
Ruwi won the Prix Noailles (Fr-II) for 3-year-olds at Longchamp Sunday, but trainer Jean-Claude Rouget was more concerned about what happens next in France's revised program.
Sheikh Hamdan's Shadwell Stud announced that homebred champion and millionaire Nayef has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Shadwell's Nunnery Stud in England.
Unfuwain, a French champion and English group II winner whose major winners at stud included Alhaarth, Petrushka, and 2001 star Lailani, died Jan. 16 as a result of a neurological condition that developed at the end of the previous week.
Petrushka, whose retirement from racing was announced June 14, has been sold to Darley Stud by Highclere Thoroughbred Racing for an amount said to be in excess of $5 million. The exact price was not disclosed.
Prince Khalid Abdullah's Juddmonte Farms, among the top breeders in North America this year, is the leading British-based breeder of 2000, according to the award winners announced Wednesday by the Thoroughbred Breeders' Association. Juddmonte received the award on the basis of success by such runners as the Vodafone Derby third Beat Hollow and Group-winning juveniles Endless Summer and Clearing. In other award winners announced by the TBA, Shadwell Stud's Unfuwain, the sire of Irish Oaks heroine Petrushka and the Sagitta 1,000 winner Lahan, is the leading British-based Flat stallion (in prize money).
Highclere Thoroughbred Racing's 3-year-old filly Petruska rallied from just off the pace to win the Kildangan Stud Irish Oaks by 5 1/2 lengths over Melikah Sunday at the Curragh.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out