Robert E. Masterson's homebred Sheets struck the front for jockey Robby Albarado at the quarter pole and drew away in the stretch for a 4 1/4-length upset of favored Sindy With an S in the $291,750 Azalea Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies on Summit of Speed card at sloppy Calder Race Course Saturday.
Azalea Stable's Offlee Wild, winner of the Holy Bull (gr. III) turned in a solid five-furlong workout Friday at Churchill Downs in his first serious training move since his 12th-place finish behind Funny Cide in Kentucky Derby 129.
Edmund Gann's Peace Rules, winner of the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) in his last start, was installed the 7-5 morning line favorite after drawing post two for Saturday's Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland.
Offlee Wild and Lots of Sizzle, both pointed toward Saturday's Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland, made their final moves over the Central Kentucky oval Tuesday morning.
Offlee Wild, trained by T. V. Smith, worked a half-mile at Gulfstream Park Sunday in :48 1/5. At Calder, Supah Blitz, second in the Fountain of Youth (gr. I) and fourth in the Florida Derby (gr. I) worked five furlongs in 1:01 handily.
Classic hopeful Offlee Wild breezed five furlongs in 1:01 over a fast main track at Gulfstream Park Friday in preparation for the April 12 Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland. The move was the fifth fastest of 15 at the distance.
Offlee Wild completed preparations for Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I) with a lightning-quick five-furlong drill in :57.40 on a fast Gulfstream Park main track Wednesday.
The stakes winning mare Another injured herself while preparing for the recent The First Lady Handicap (gr. III) at Gulfstream and will likely be retired, said trainer T.V. Smith.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Considers Preakness Stakes Options
- Bal a Bali Vying for U.S. Score in American
- Princess Violet Tops Ruffian Stakes Entrants
- KHRC Vote on Salix Threshold Triggers Debate
- Beholder, Warren's Veneda Face Off in Vanity
- Unspurned Seeks Repeat Performance in Hendrie
- Wolf Man Rocket Ships in for Peter Pan Stakes
- NYRA to Cap Belmont Attendance at 90,000
- MarketWatch: Jamie Hill on Sires, Pinhooking
- Hardest Core in Man o' War vs. Imagining