A pair of $100,000 New York Stallion Stakes will be offered at Aqueduct Racetrack April 26.
Turtle Bird Stable's undefeated Cluster of Stars repelled the challenge of Los Ojitos and preserved her perfect record April 13 at Aqueduct Racetrack, winning the $200,000 Distaff Handicap (gr. II).
Haynesfield, winner of the 2010 Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes (gr. I), will stand at Brereton and Elizabeth Jones' Airdrie Stud near Midway, Ky.
Harvey Weinstein's Turtle Bird Stable announced Dec. 2 that grade I winner Haynesfield has been retired. A stakes winner each year he raced, Haynesfield won 10 of his 19 lifetime starts for earnings of $1,319,481.
Haynesfield, sent off at 7-1, pulled off a shocker in the $750,000 Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes (gr. I) Oct. 2 at Belmont Park, going wire-to-wire under Ramon Dominguez while never being challenged.
Racing in graded stakes company for the first time since disappointing in the Gotham (gr. III) this spring, Haynesfield looked like a completely different 3-year-old this time around, as he took over approaching the quarter-pole and easily repelled odds-on favorite Gone Astray to win the $103,500 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) by 4 1/2 lengths Nov. 21 at Aqueduct.
Bigger things await Haynesfield after the 3-year-old colt outclassed five rivals in the $107,600 Whirlaway Stakes Feb. 7 for his third consecutive win on Aqueduct's inner track.
Haynesfield picked up his third consecutive victory Jan. 3, warding off a stiff mid-stretch challenge from Mike From Queens and drawing off to a 3 1/2-length victory in the 34th running of the $69.700 Count Fleet Stakes for 3-year-olds at a mile and 70 yards on Aqueduct's fast inner dirt track.
You could take nothing away from the top three finishers in the $350,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap, but Turtle Bird Stable's Sir Whimsey got the job done and drew away in the final furlongs to win by a half-length.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Castellano Scores Fourth Straight Eclipse as Top Jockey
- Beholder Goes Out a Champion, Earns Fourth Eclipse
- Still in Tune, Songbird Earns Second Straight Eclipse
- California Chrome Named Champion Older Dirt Male
- Finest City Dazzles in Santa Monica
- Arrogate, Flintshire Power Juddmonte to Owner Eclipse
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season