Robert and Janice McNair's Cowboy Cal, runner-up here last fall in the Hollywood Derby (gr. I), will try to bounce back from a 10th-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) in Hollywood Park's $300,000 Citation Handicap on Nov. 27.
In an effort to maintain overnight purses, Kentucky Downs management has decided to drop the $100,000 Kentucky Cup Mile from the stakes program. However, the Yaqthan Stakes, which is also run at one mile for 3-year-olds and up, will receive a purse increase from $40,000 to $50,000.
Blackdoun and Special Ring failed to handle a yielding turf course in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Lone Star Park on Oct. 30, finishing seventh and thirteenth, respectively, but the race took so little out of them they could both return later this month at Hollywood Park.
A potential Eclipse Award winner and a wide-open Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) highlight the final day of Hollywood Park's Turf Festival Sunday.
Good Journey, one of the leading turf milers in the nation, will defend honors in the $500,000 Citation Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood Park Nov. 30, trainer Wally Dollase said. A key component of the $2.1-million Turf Festival, the Citation will be run at 1 1/16 miles on grass.
Albarado honored...Upcoming race meets at Turfway, Hollywood, and Suffolk...Goldthorpe on his own.
Nominations for the 11th Turf Festival at Hollywood Park in late November are up 25% from last year, officials said Tuesday. Six races worth about $2.1 million will be held Nov. 23-25 at the Inglewood, Calif., track.
Most Popular Stories
- Ben's Cat Maryland-Bred HOY for Fourth Year
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- Caesars' Moves Impact Turfway, ThistleDown
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A
- Kentucky Oaks Attracts 154 Nominees
- Charles Town, Oaklawn, Laurel Cancel Cards
- Insights on Jockey Club's Purchase of B-H