The 72nd running of the $500,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) tops a stakes schedule worth more than $5.2 million during the 2011 spring/summer meet at Hollywood Park.
California-bred sprinter Unfurl the Flag won the first graded stakes race of his career Sunday when he dusted a large field in the $350,000 Triple Bend Handicap (gr. I) on Independence Day weekend at Hollywood Park.
Fourteen sprinters will be in search of their first grade I triumph in the $350,000 Triple Bend Invitational Handicap at seven furlongs Sunday at Hollywood Park.
Pohave, winner of the $150,000 Los Angeles Times Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park on May 8, is the 116-pound top weight among 14 entered in the $300,000 Triple Bend Invitational Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at seven furlongs.
Belmont Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Ten Most Wanted continued toward his scheduled start in the July 13 Swaps Stakes (gr. II) at Hollywood Park with a five-furlong work in :59 1/5 over the Inglewood, Calif., oval's fast main track on Thursday morning.
Squirtle Squirt dueled with Explicit through blistering early fractions before being caught at the wire by 45-1 longshot Ceeband in Sunday's $296,000 Triple Bend Breeders' Cup Invitational Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park. Bred in California by Cecelia Straub-Rubens, breeder of reigning Horse of the Year Tiznow, Ceeband returned $91.80, $25.40, and $13.80 and led a $1 exacta worth $167.90.
Jockey Victor Espinoza posted his second graded win on Sunday's Hollywood Park card.
Most Popular Stories
- Blingismything Rallies to Capture Wilshire
- Dortmund, Other CA Shippers Arrive at CD
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Possessed, Take Issue Win NY Stallion Stakes
- Jacobson, Cruz Take Aqueduct Spring Titles
- The Pharoah Show Gets Rave Reviews
- Three to Represent New York in Derby
- Social Inclusion Second in 2015 Debut
- Ready's Image Filly Tops Breezes for LA Sale
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires