Azeri did her part in winning Wednesday's Lady's Secret Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita, and now it's up to Edward P. Evans' Summer Colony to match her or do her one better when she takes on six talented fillies and mares in Saturday's $750,000 Beldame Stakes.
Summer Colony was pressed through the early and middle stages of the Personal Ensign Handicap (gr. I) Friday at Saratoga, but it didn't faze her at all as she drew off to an authoritative victory.
Dancethruthedawn will try to capturing her second grade I at Saratoga this year when she starts in the $400,000 Personal Ensign Handicap on Aug. 23.
Things were back to normal for the Edward P. "Ned" Evans stable on June 22. After pulling off the rare feat (for him) of winning two consecutive stakes with colts, Evans and trainer Mark Hennig returned to their filly factory and sent out the queen bee, Raging Fever, for another victory in a filly and mare stakes.
With Ability led from wire to wire for a 5 1/4-length victory in Friday's 28th running of the $108,600 Next Move Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares 3 years and older at Aqueduct.
Irving's Baby will attempt to become broodmare Irving's Girl's second offspring in six days to win a graded stakes race when the 5-year-old mare by Quiet American faces six rivals in Friday's $100,000 Next Move Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct.
Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Flute toyed with her six foes in an allowance contest at Saratoga Friday, coming home by an easy four lengths over Deborah in the nine-furlong sixth race. Transcendental finished third.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Draws Post 5 for Belmont
- Twilight Eclipse Seeks GI Double in Manhattan
- Effinex Targets Brooklyn for Jerkens
- Turf Sprinters Line Up for Loaded Jaipur
- American Pharoah Arrives at Belmont
- American Pharoah Gets First Look at Belmont
- Belmont Post Draw: Jerry Crawford
- Mubtaahij Races For 'Other' Sheikh in Belmont
- Champion Escena Dead at Age 22 in Kentucky
- Champion Untapable Formidable in Ogden Phipps