Azeri did her part in winning Wednesday's Lady's Secret Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita, and now it's up to Edward P. Evans' Summer Colony to match her or do her one better when she takes on six talented fillies and mares in Saturday's $750,000 Beldame Stakes.
Summer Colony was pressed through the early and middle stages of the Personal Ensign Handicap (gr. I) Friday at Saratoga, but it didn't faze her at all as she drew off to an authoritative victory.
Dancethruthedawn will try to capturing her second grade I at Saratoga this year when she starts in the $400,000 Personal Ensign Handicap on Aug. 23.
Things were back to normal for the Edward P. "Ned" Evans stable on June 22. After pulling off the rare feat (for him) of winning two consecutive stakes with colts, Evans and trainer Mark Hennig returned to their filly factory and sent out the queen bee, Raging Fever, for another victory in a filly and mare stakes.
With Ability led from wire to wire for a 5 1/4-length victory in Friday's 28th running of the $108,600 Next Move Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares 3 years and older at Aqueduct.
Irving's Baby will attempt to become broodmare Irving's Girl's second offspring in six days to win a graded stakes race when the 5-year-old mare by Quiet American faces six rivals in Friday's $100,000 Next Move Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct.
Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Flute toyed with her six foes in an allowance contest at Saratoga Friday, coming home by an easy four lengths over Deborah in the nine-furlong sixth race. Transcendental finished third.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Mshawish Tops Taylor Made Roster, For Now
- Orb Colt Tops Fasig-Tipton Second Session
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Handy Work at Remington for Texas Chrome
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Twilight Son to Cheveley Park in 2017
- No Raise for NYRA Discretionary Spending