At the conclusion of its second fall season since the closure of Hollywood Park, Del Mar saw a decrease in daily average handle for the five-week stand when compared with last fall's four-week slate.
Team O'Neill pulled off a deep closing drive to clinch Santa Anita Park's fall meet training title Oct. 25, bypassing Jerry Hollendorfer in the final race on the final day of the month-long meeting.
Graeme Rogerson became the most successful horse trainer in New Zealand after he notched win number 1,878 in New Zealand when Minno Noir won at Tauherenikau yesterday.
- By Claire Novak
For days, reporters have been asking Bill Mott about his successful season at Saratoga, where he leads all trainers with a 16-6-10 standing from 53 starts. For days, Mott has been realistic about his chances; he's seen other horsemen hit unexpected winning streaks, has known the dry spells that can suddenly hit a leading trainer's string. Just because he was ahead at week one, or week two, or week three of the meet doesn't mean he'll be the last man standing when they run the last race on the last day, and this is what Mott has been quick to say.
A new incentive program at Hollywood Park awards a trip to Tahiti to the leading trainers in three categories.
- By Tom LaMarra
Trainer Wayne Catalano, who won the first race when Arlington Park reopened after two dark years in 2000, set a meet record Oct. 25 when he won his 63rd race of the meet.
Lorenzo Lezcano, an apprentice rider from Panama, topped Aqueduct's winter meet standings with 70 victories.
Most Popular Stories
- New York Discusses Rules on Race-Day Lasix
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Date Set for 2017 Maryland Million Day
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- 'Free Fridays' at National Museum of Racing
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog