Richard's Kid, two-time winner of the Pacific Classic (gr. I) and of six total graded stakes through a 47-start career, has been retired due to a slight tendon tear.
Mired in a year-long slump since moving to the Doug O'Neill barn from Bob Baffert, Richard's Kid snapped out of it with a repeat victory in the $100,000 Cougar II Handicap (gr. III) July 26 at Del Mar.
Odds-on choice Richard's Kid gave every indication he's ready to try for a third win in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) with an impressive turn of foot to capture the Cougar II Handicap (gr. III) in track record time at Del Mar.
Multiple grade I winner Richard's Kid was victorious in his first start in the United States in more than 20 months, romping by 7 1/4 lengths at Betfair Hollywood Park in the $71,650 Prove It Stakes on the night of June 8.
Richard's Kid saved ground all the way, sweeping by odds-on favorite Twirling Candy past mid-stretch to win Oak Tree's $250,000 Goodwood Stakes (gr. I) at Hollywood Park Oct. 2.
Richard's Kid successfully defended his title in the $1 million Pacific Classic Presented by TVG (gr. I) when he came from off the pace to edge Crowded House at Del Mar Aug. 28.
Richard's Kid is Dubai-bound after winning the $150,000 San Antonio Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Feb. 7 in his first start for new owner Sheikh Rashid bin Mohammed al Maktoum's Zabeel Racing International.
Richard's Kid, sent off at odds of 24-1, charged from far back with jockey Mike Smith aboard to win the $1 million Pacific Classic (gr. I) at Del Mar Sept. 6, nipping Einstein in an exhilarating finish.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Mahoning Valley Announces Purse Increase