Undefeated Lethal Heat won her third straight race in the space of a month and became a grade III winner when she burned past the pacesetters mid-stretch en route to a 1 3/4-length victory in the $108,500 Santa Paula Stakes on the Santa Anita synthetic track March 30.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' With Distinction prevailed in a driving three-horse finish and survived a jockey's claim of foul to emerge victorious in Monday's grade III, $112,100 El Conejo Handicap at Santa Anita.
Wimbledon, the 2004 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner who suffered a tendon injury while preparing for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), finished third at the Solano County Fair Sunday in his first start in more than 15 months.
Michael Gill, currently the nation's leading owner in both money and races won, said during an HRTV interview Thursday that he intends to have a presence again in California in the near future.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga