Tom Chiota, 70, who managed the daily operations of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. as its president for more than 30 years, died in the early morning of Aug. 29.
- By BloodHorse Staff
- Thoroughbred Racing, Thoroughbred Breeding, Thoroughbred Sales, Southeast Region
Retired Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. director of sales Bob Gulick died Aug. 30 in Ocala, Fla., at the age of 92. He served in that position from 1978-1995.
Tod Wojciechowski will begin his duties after the first of the year. Tom Ventura will become president of OBS on June 30.
Director of sales and general manager Tom Ventura will take over as president after Chiota's retirement.
Ocala Breeders' Sales Company has hired Jim Ventura and Tod Wojciechowski as horsemen relations representatives. They will be visiting racetracks and training centers throughout the country in preparation for the 2-year-old sales season.
Principal parties in a debate over rules governing horse sales in Florida announced April 22 that they had drafted joint recommendations to be delivered to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
Ocala Breeders' Sales Company announced Dec. 26 that Darley will be sponsoring the 2008 OBS Day of Champions.
The Ocala Breeders' Sales Company is installing the all-weather SAFETRACK surface at its facility in Central Florida.
The Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's February select sale of 2-year-olds in training will be conducted in Central Florida for the second year in 2008 instead of returning to its former site, Calder Race Course.
Several sale company officials have written a letter to Dr. Larry Bramlage complaining about how an American Association of Equine Practitioners task force handled the development and release to the public of its guidelines for medications in sale horses.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Honorable Duty Holds Strong in Mineshaft Handicap
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Tapits Dominate Fasig-Tipton Pinhook Prospects
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies