Mandy Pope prevailed in a protracted bidding battle that ended with a final price of $1.05 million for a daughter of Street Cry out of Tizso.
Returning from a near-death experience last year, Paynter demolished an allowance field June 14 at Betfair Hollywood Park in his first start since winning last July's Haskell Invitational (gr. I).
Bouncing back from a heart-breaking loss in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) last month, Paynter romped to victory in the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) July 29 at Monmouth Park for trainer Bob Baffert.
Zayat Stables colt will make his second career start in grade II race at Hawthorne.
Bluegrass Hall Farm purchased an Awesome Again-Tizso, by Cee's Tizzy, colt (Hip No. 426) for $510,000 from the Taylor Made Sales Agency consignment during the third session of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 13.
The simple addition of a shadow roll by trainer Richard Mandella may have spelled the difference for Tiz West, who nosed Ez Dreamer at the wire in the $147,200 Cinema Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf course June 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Abashiri Sweeps South African Triple Crown
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Cathryn Sophia Gets Early Morning Workout
- Romans' Derby Pair Breezes at Churchill
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Familiar Four-Furlong Breeze for Weep No More