Clover Towne Farm homebred Taptowne was scratched out of the Nov. 1 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park due to a bruised foot.
The well-traveled Taptowne made a stop in West Virginia Aug. 3 and made off with the cash with a victory in the $200,000 West Virginia Governor's Stakes at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort.
Two weeks before the 29-day Ellis Park meet begins July 4, horsemen are expressing concerns about the condition of the main track and some, including prominent conditioner Larry Jones, have decided not to race at the track.
Nine-year-old gelding Unreachable Star kept his streak going June 5 when he won an Indiana-bred stakes for the sixth consecutive year.
Tim Glyshaw and Dean Baer's Ready's Rocket set the modern record for most wins by a horse at Churchill Downs May 21 when he won his ninth race at the Kentucky track.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Full OBS March Sale to be Conducted Tuesday
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones
- Geeky Gorgeous Named New Jersey Horse of Year
- Haskin: 'Horseplayers' and Pioneer Days
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- Godolphin Pair Face Off in Maktoum Challenge
- A Racing Weekend of Stars