Each week BloodHorse.com looks forward to the weekend's biggest races. Consider this your guide to the best stakes in North America. This week we have a trio of grade 3 turf miles Saturday, Churchill Downs' opening night, and more.
No better than ninth in four trips outside of California, Golden Pegasus Racing and Earle Mack's Bolo will stay home instead of getting caught up in Kentucky Derby week for a third straight year.
What a View showed some versatility April 9 to secure his fourth straight victory on the Santa Anita Park turf.
Although a forecast calling for rain may affect the field, it can be argued that one of the deepest fields on a loaded stakes schedule April 9 is the $100,000 Thunder Road Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Santa Anita Park.
Next to last going to the far turn under Mike Smith, Tom's Tribute came roaring down the stretch to win the $75,000 Thunder Road Stakes at Santa Anita Park while equaling Wise Dan's course record for a mile on turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Business as Usual for J Boys Echo in Derby Breeze
- Official Veterinary Team From China Visits Kentucky
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Turf Mile Saturday
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out