German-bred Daveron, C.S. Silk, and Never Retreat, all graded stakes winners in 2011, headline an overflow field of 12 fillies and mares, plus two also-eligibles for the Oct. 8 First Lady Stakes (gr. IT) at Keeneland.
Behind a wall of horses with nowhere to go, Winter Memories somehow found a way out, passing the entire field inside the sixteenth pole to win the Garden City Stakes (gr. IT) in unbelievable fashion Sept. 17 at Belmont Park.
Winter Memories, beaten for the first time this season last out as the heavy favorite, shoots for her first grade I win in the $250,000 Garden City Stakes Sept. 17 at Belmont Park.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
With an excellent race record, a fine pedigree, and superb conformation, Bernardini looked as close to a sure thing as exists in the ranks of prospective stallions.
Bernardini leads the freshman sire ranks by number of graded stakes winners and also is the leader with four contenders in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Delegator, who is due to represent Godolphin in the TVG Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) on Saturday, Nov. 6, at Churchill Downs, has had a quarter crack this week.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Rising quickly in the first-crop juvenile sire standings is Bernardini. As the year winds down, he's competing for supremacy over other A.P. Indy-influenced young sires.
White Moonstone remained undefeated with determined neck victory over Together in the Meon Valley Stud Fillies' Mile (Eng-I) at Ascot Sept. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis