PORTER ON PEDIGREES
Few Japanese runners in international competition have been more impressive than Lord Kanaloa, who won 13 of 19 starts overall.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES
Successful female trainer Jenine Sahadi has retired from racing. Sahadi, 48, dissolved her stable at the close of the Del Mar meet in September and is in the process of relocating to the San Diego area.
Barry Irwin has purchased Jeff Siegel's interest in Team Valor and will operate the stable as its sole owner, the Versailles-based company announced July 3.
Grade I winner The Deputy has been purchased privately and will be relocated to Hubel Farms near Clare, Mich.
The night the Cincinnati Reds beat the host Atlanta Braves 11-8, the colt Cincinnati Red won a maiden race Sept. 22 at Turfway Park to become the first winner for his sire, grade I winner The Deputy.
King Kamehameha demolished Saturday's $3 million Japan Derby (Jpn-I) field, his time taking two full seconds off the stakes record before a crowd of 120,000 at Tokyo Racecourse.
The Deputy, winner of this year's Santa Anita Derby sent off as the second choice in the Kentucky Derby, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Margaux Farm near Midway, Ky. Owned by Steve Johnson, Dr. Ira Mersack, and Rick Trontz, Margaux purchased a half-interest in Irish-bred The Deputy from Team Valor (Barry Irwin, president) and Gary Barber. The Deputy, who came up with a filling in a tendon while being prepared for the Malibu Stakes, will stand for $7,500 live foal.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- The Curse of Haskin