The final eight races at Lone Star Park April 24 were cancelled, including the $200,000 Texas Mile (gr. III), because of inclement weather that led to unsafe track conditions.
Gritty Grand Contender battled head-and-head with Taptowne through the stretch before inching clear in the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) on the night of April 26 at Lone Star Park.
After racing along the rail in the backstretch, jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. angled Master Rick out in the far turn and the Master Command colt rallied from third in the stretch to win the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III).
Eight-year-old Jonesboro is back to defend his title in the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) at Lone Star Park against seven rivals April 24.
Trainer Cole Norman notches his biggest career win when former claimer Unrullah Bull stages a Texas Mile upset.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- The Curse of Haskin
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm