The final eight races at Lone Star Park April 24 were cancelled, including the $200,000 Texas Mile (gr. III), because of inclement weather that led to unsafe track conditions.
Gritty Grand Contender battled head-and-head with Taptowne through the stretch before inching clear in the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) on the night of April 26 at Lone Star Park.
After racing along the rail in the backstretch, jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. angled Master Rick out in the far turn and the Master Command colt rallied from third in the stretch to win the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III).
Eight-year-old Jonesboro is back to defend his title in the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) at Lone Star Park against seven rivals April 24.
Trainer Cole Norman notches his biggest career win when former claimer Unrullah Bull stages a Texas Mile upset.
Most Popular Stories
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista
- High Ridge Road Closes to Win Barbara Fritchie
- Miss Temple City, Lady Eli Put in First Works of 2017
- Imperial Hint Makes the Grade in General George
- Gunnevera, Three Rules Work toward Fountain of Youth