The final eight races at Lone Star Park April 24 were cancelled, including the $200,000 Texas Mile (gr. III), because of inclement weather that led to unsafe track conditions.
Gritty Grand Contender battled head-and-head with Taptowne through the stretch before inching clear in the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) on the night of April 26 at Lone Star Park.
After racing along the rail in the backstretch, jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. angled Master Rick out in the far turn and the Master Command colt rallied from third in the stretch to win the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III).
Eight-year-old Jonesboro is back to defend his title in the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) at Lone Star Park against seven rivals April 24.
Trainer Cole Norman notches his biggest career win when former claimer Unrullah Bull stages a Texas Mile upset.
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind Upsets Beholder
- Maiden No More, Laoban Stuns Jim Dandy Rivals
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- A. P. Indian Outduels Holy Boss in Vanderbilt
- Lexie Lou Goes Wire to Wire in Victoriana
- Pennsylvania Sanctions Trainer Preciado
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win
- Monmouth, Suffolk Battle Over Entries
- Mind Your Biscuits Takes Amsterdam