The final eight races at Lone Star Park April 24 were cancelled, including the $200,000 Texas Mile (gr. III), because of inclement weather that led to unsafe track conditions.
Gritty Grand Contender battled head-and-head with Taptowne through the stretch before inching clear in the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) on the night of April 26 at Lone Star Park.
After racing along the rail in the backstretch, jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. angled Master Rick out in the far turn and the Master Command colt rallied from third in the stretch to win the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III).
Eight-year-old Jonesboro is back to defend his title in the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) at Lone Star Park against seven rivals April 24.
Trainer Cole Norman notches his biggest career win when former claimer Unrullah Bull stages a Texas Mile upset.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby