Triple Crown winner American Pharoah arrived on the Keeneland backstretch Oct. 27 to begin final preparations for his final career start in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) Oct. 31 at Keeneland.
Champion Beholder arrived in the bluegrass on a sun-splashed afternoon Oct. 19, 11 days before her engagement in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) and a showdown with Triple Crown winner American Pharoah.
- By BloodHorse Staff
- Thoroughbred Racing, Breeders' Cup, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Mid-Atlantic Region
American Pharoah arrived on the East Coast safe and sound July 29, after traveling from Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert's California base to Monmouth Park where he will run in the Aug. 1 Haskell Invitational (gr. I).
A cracked windshield on a Tex Sutton plane caused minor shuffling in plans for the transportation of Breeders' Cup contenders in New York and Kentucky, but all runners are expected to arrive at Santa Anita Park by Oct. 29.
He'd never been on an airplane before, so California Chrome didn't necessarily know how to get off one, either.
Juvenile filly Artemis Agrotera had long travel day Oct. 29, but with the rail, will have short run to the lead in the Nov. 2 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I).
Breeders' Cup has a contingency plan in place for air transport of horses should an impending major storm in the Northeast cause problems, officials said Oct. 27.
The Tex Sutton plane carrying Bob and John, Point Determined, and A. P. Warrior arrived at Louisville Airport at about 11:20 a.m. following an uneventful flight from California.
A Tex Sutton airplane carrying several horses, including Travers Stakes (gr. I) contender Suave, was grounded Wednesday in Louisville, Ky., delaying its arrival in New York until Thursday morning.
Three planeloads of Breeders' Cup horses are scheduled to arrive in California next week, with Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) hopefuls Funny Cide, Evening Attire, and Volponi on a Wednesday flight out of New York.
The shutdown of New York airports will keep Beautiful Pleasure and Hero's Tribute out of important graded stakes races at Belmont Park on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000