The owners of shuttered Hollywood Park and the real estate development firm owned by St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke have revealed plans to build an 80,000-seat NFL stadium on the site.
Ending much speculation about its immediate future, Betfair Hollywood Park will operate its annual fall meet in 2013, track president Jack Liebau said in an appearance before the California Horse Racing Board Jan. 17.
Now that voters in California have decisively approved a massive increase in Indian gaming for four large Southern California tribes, the chairman of the state's horse racing board says it is time for the tribal casinos to help out his ailing industry with financial mitigation.
Bay Meadows Race Course begins its final regular season meet next month, but questions remain about whether this is really the farewell stand for the 74-year-old track.
Hollywood Park expects to be the first California racetrack to run on a synthetic-racing surface. The Inglewood facility announced June 21 that it will begin work with Equestrian Surfaces of the United Kingdom to replace the existing main track at the conclusion of the spring/summer meet on July 16.
Saying that California "has forsaken racing and its needs," the president of Churchill Downs Inc. announced July 6 that the company has sold historic Hollywood Park to Bay Meadows Land Company for $260 million.
By Morton Cathro -- Like Ralph Neves, the jockey who was pronounced dead after a spill, only to come back to life and ride there again, aging Bay Meadows, the grand dame of California racetracks, is proving once more that reports of her demise are, as Mark Twain once observed, greatly exaggerated.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- No Sure Favorite in Woodbine's Royal North Stakes
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga