The $150,000 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita Jan. 2 could not have come up any better for Cat by the Tale, who seized the lead from pacesetter Century Park on the final turn and burst home easily.
Making her first start since a rousing triumph in the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (gr. I) two months ago, Life Is Sweet returns in the $150,000 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT) on the turf at Santa Anita Jan. 2.
Trainer John Shirreffs left Life Is Sweet in the barn and won the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) anyway when outsider Zardana swept by pacesetter Briecat past the eighth pole en route to a 1 1/4-length victory Dec. 5 at Hollywood Park.
Briecat is back to defend her title in the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park Dec. 5, part of a field that swelled to 11 with the absence of Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic (gr. I) winner Life Is Sweet, who was not entered.
Trainer Ken McPeek has left his six Breeders' Cup World Championships weekend starters behind for the time being to race during the upcoming Hollywood Park fall meet, he said Nov. 12.
Trainer Ken McPeek said Oct. 16 that he plans to send his Breeders' Cup juvenile quartet to Santa Anita on Oct. 19.
Interference in deep stretch cost Juddmonte Farms a chance to win their own race, as their English homebred Proviso crossed the wire first in the $500,000 Juddmonte Spinster (gr. I) but was disqualified for veering out sharply inside the sixteenth-pole. The disqualification gave the victory to Brushwood Stable's Mushka, who crossed the wire second by 2 1/4 lengths, but likely would have gone by Proviso had her path not been impeded.
Most Popular Stories
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014