Theodore "Ted" Siegel, a long-time Florida horseman, died Nov. 10 in Greenwich, Conn.
Harry T. Mangurian Jr., one of Florida's leading breeders and owners for years, died Oct. 19 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., after battling leukemia.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Were it not for Florida, there would now be no active male line tracing back to that most revered of American racehorses, Man o' War. The line had already begun to fade from prominence when Tartan Farms' colt In Reality came along in the stellar foal crop of 1964. Today, Bridlewood Farm's young stallion Put It Back, a son of Honour and Glory and a great-grandson of In Reality, is the latest young sire with the potential to keep this line alive. One of Put It Back's runners who is helping make this happen is grade I winner In Summation.
Tony Barnard, a former trainer at Tartan Farms, died Oct. 1 in Ocala, Fla., of congestive heart failure.
Acaroid, a grass star in the early 1980s for James and Virginia Binger's Tartan Farms, died April 12 of an apparent heart attack in his paddock at Gilda Clark's Timber Creek Farms near Mitchellville, Iowa.
Gana Facil, dam of 1990 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Unbridled, and Fair to All, dam of grade I winner Honour and Glory, have died.
Fresh on the heels of welcoming pensioned stallion Taylor's Special to its retirement center, Old Friends has purchased Japanese stallion Ogygian.
Pensioned broodmare Illiterate, whose son Alphabet Soup beat Cigar in the 1996 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), died Jan. 9 at age 31
Virginia McKnight Binger, who bred Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Unbridled and whose father, William L. McKnight, founded Tartan Farms in Florida , died Dec. 22
The chestnut son of Dr. Fager was the last horse on the Tartan Farms property in Ocala, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- No Sure Favorite in Woodbine's Royal North Stakes
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga