In front of 200 and his closest friends and family plus thousands of fans in the grandstand and infield, Eugene Melnyk celebrated his second win in the Sandy Lane Gold Cup in his homeland of Barbados.
With a surge in the final strides, Sterwins defeated favored Rahy's Attorney by a head while breaking the Woodbine turf track record for 1 1/16 miles in the $154,688 Connaught Cup (Can-IIIT) May 24.
Ignored at the betting windows, Melnyk Racing Stables' homebred Sterwins rallied from last, shot through the stretch, and pulled away for a commanding 3 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Ben Ali Stakes (gr. III) April 20 on the Keeneland Polytrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Millionaire Grade I Winner Dads Caps Retired
- Del Mar Critics Speak Out at CHRB Meeting
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- A Travers Day Christmas Present
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Veitch's Suspension Sent Back to KHRC
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- OBS Numbers Plummet During Open Session
- American Dirt Records a Thing of the Past