Stonerside Stable's 3-year-old homebred Congaree earned his first grade I stakes victory in his third attempt, winning Sunday's paceless renewal of the $500,000 Swaps Stakes by four lengths at Hollywood Park.
Six 3-year-olds, including Kentucky Derby veterans Congaree and Jamaican Rum, have been entered for Sunday's $500,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. I) at Hollywood Park.
Carl J. Odegaard's Northern California-based 3-year-old Hoovergetthekeys, winless since taking the El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) in March, will ship to Hollywood Park to face Congaree in the $500,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. I) on July 15.
Hoping that sweetening the pot will attract more talent, Hollywood officials announced this weekend that the Swaps Stakes purse will be boosted to $600,000 if Preakness-Belmont winner Point Given or Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos decides to run in the race.
Trainer David Hofmans said Monday that Millennium Wind is recovering well from injuries sustained in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and remains pointed toward the $500,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. I).
David and Jill Heerensperger's Millennium Wind, 11th in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), may make his next start in the $500,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. I), according to trainer David Hofmans.
Michael Pegram's 3-year-old colt Captain Steve employed similar racing tactics to those used in his Iowa Derby victory earlier this month to win the $300,000 winner's share of the $500,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. I) Sunday at Hollywood Park. After Tiznow angled out for racing room, the full brother of Budroyale rallied for second place, 2 1/2 lengths behind the winner.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby