Sam F. Davis Stakes winner Bluegrass Cat tops of group of 36 horses nominated to the $250,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) that highlights the March 18 Festival Day card at the Florida track.
Squinting into the morning sun, Nick Zito stood outside his barn mulling over his Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) chances.
First Samurai finally gets his opportunity to show what he can do going two turns when he heads a field of nine in the $300,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II), one of four 3-year-old stakes to be run on Saturday. The other big-name horse in action is Brother Derek, who will be a heavy favorite in the Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II).
So far, Todd Pletcher has been probing the enemy forces with his second- and third-stringers, with and without success. But this week it was time to get serious and bring out the heavy ammo. He hit his target with Bluegrass Cat on Saturday and now gets ready to fire off his second round with High Cotton on Wednesday.
The highly regarded Kentucky Derby (gr. I) prospect First Samurai continues to work toward his much-anticipated 3-year-old debut, breezing five furlongs in 1:00 3/5 Saturday morning at Gulfstream Park.
It was a chaotic Monday morning on the Belmont work tab, with 21 Breeders' Cup horses having their final tune-ups for the World Thoroughbred Championships. And over at Aqueduct, Rick Dutrow worked his two Breeders' Cup horses, Saint Liam and Silver Train.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Castellano Scores Fourth Straight Eclipse as Top Jockey
- Beholder Goes Out a Champion, Earns Fourth Eclipse
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- California Chrome Named Champion Older Dirt Male
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Champagne Room Earns Toast as Champion 2-Year-Old Filly
- Still in Tune, Songbird Earns Second Straight Eclipse
- Arrogate, Flintshire Power Juddmonte to Owner Eclipse
- Big-Race Drefong Named Champion Male Sprinter