The inaugural "Santa Sprint Saturday" package at Fair Grounds turned into a two-man show Dec. 22, as trainer Steve Asmussen and jockey Shaun Bridgmohan combined to win all four $100,000 dirt stakes and racked up a whopping six victories on the 10-race card.
A winner of five of seven starts this year, Midnight Cry Stable's homebred Stormin Baghdad headlines a field of 13 for the Dec. 22 Bonapaw Stakes, the last of four $100,000 stakes on the inaugural "Santa Sprint Saturday" card at Fair Grounds.
Steve Asmussen saddled a New Year's Day stakes winner for the second straight year as Catonight captured the $81,600 Sugar Bowl for 3-year-olds Sunday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Overbrook Farm homebred Storm Surge took the lead in the top of the stretch and went on to capture the $60,000 Sugar Bowl Stakes for 2-year-olds Friday at Fair Grounds Race Course.
Wildcat Shoes, who set a stakes record in winning the Sugar Bowl Stakes for 2-year-olds Sunday at Fair Grounds, is lucky to be alive after suffering severe heat stroke in his career debut at Arlington Park in August.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered
- Ward Joins Water Hay Oats Alliance