The horrific thunderstorm that hit Churchill Downs Monday morning and the afternoon arrival of Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) favorite California Chrome generated a lot of online discussion.
Claire Novak reports trackside from Churchill Downs on news for the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks. Learn of the morning storms, works by Tapiture, Hoppertunity, and Ria Antonia. See footage of California Chrome unloading! watch video
Severe weather moving across Kentucky the afternoon of March 2 prompted Turfway Park to cancel live racing and simulcasting and for Churchill Downs and Keeneland to halt simulcasting operations.
Strong Santa Ana winds of up to 100 miles per hour blew through Southern California early Dec. 1, uprooting trees and damaging some barns at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia.
- By Tom LaMarra
Turfway Park, currently closed for live racing but home to about 700 horses in training, sustained storm damaged the evening of May 25 but no humans or horses were injured.
In anticipation of bad weather expected to hit New York on Friday, Aqueduct has already made the decision to close the track for live racing and simulcasting.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered
- Ward Joins Water Hay Oats Alliance