Toasting past winners through a selection of images including Riva Ridge, Alydar, Forty Niner & More! view slideshow
Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) winner Music Merci was euthanized due to the infirmities of old age at United Pegasus Foundation near Tehachapi, Calif. The son of Stop the Music was 27.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Harlan's Holiday, who currently ranks second on the leading freshman sires list, is one of several grandsons of Storm Cat who are proving themselves as sires. His top runner to date is Into Mischief, winner of the CashCall Futurity (gr. I) at Hollywood Park on Dec. 22. Harlan's Holiday has also been represented by stakes winners Tasha's Miracle, Bear Holiday, P.S.U. Grad, and Harlan's Song.
Thirty-five-year-old Stop the Music, the broodmare sire of 2005 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Giacomo, was euthanized July 8 at Gainesway Farm due to infirmities of old age.
Horse of the Year in 1994, Holy Bull had one glaring hole in his resume that year, the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), in which he struggled over a muddy track to finish an ignominious 12th of 14 behind winner Go for Gin. Saturday, that defeat was avenged when his son Giacomo charged from far off the pace to win the Kentucky Derby by half a length over a dead-game Closing Argument.
Lyphard, Stop the Music, and Irish River Still Enjoying Life at Gainesway
Green Dancer, the sire 83 stakes winners, was euthanized Friday at Graham J. Beck's Gainesway Farm near Lexington, Ky. 28-year-old son of Nijinsky II had been pensioned last week because of the infirmities of age.
Most Popular Stories
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Tepin Gets Serious in Latest Work
- Suddenbreakingnews Set to Return at Oaklawn
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- OBS to Offer Experienced Racehorses, Yearlings, Mares
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work