Even-money choice Stachys used his strong late kick to hold off Skip a Smile in the lane for a half-length victory in the $150,000 Zia Park Derby at the New Mexico track Dec. 4.
Trainer Doug O'Neill has decided not to appeal an Illinois suspension that is being enforced in California and effective June 30 he will have no horses race in his name for 15 days.
Backtalk has already amassed more than $170,000 in graded earnings, which is likely already enough to secure him a slot in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) starting gate.
Most Popular Stories
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Charles Town to Make Donation to CANTER
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Mine That Bird Movie Premieres March 19