Even-money choice Stachys used his strong late kick to hold off Skip a Smile in the lane for a half-length victory in the $150,000 Zia Park Derby at the New Mexico track Dec. 4.
Trainer Doug O'Neill has decided not to appeal an Illinois suspension that is being enforced in California and effective June 30 he will have no horses race in his name for 15 days.
Backtalk has already amassed more than $170,000 in graded earnings, which is likely already enough to secure him a slot in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) starting gate.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Hard Aces Too Tough in Cougar II
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Nyquist Logs Final Work for Haskell
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury