Coming off a runner-up finish to Bayou's Lassie in the Churchill Distaff Turf Mile (gr. IIIT) May 3, Frank Calabrese's Dreaming of Anna heads a field of 11 older fillies and mares in the $150,000 Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs June 14.
An impressive group of handicap runners headed by Saint Liam, Eddington, and Perfect Drift is included on a roster of 24 older horses nominated for the $750,000-added Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) at Churchill Downs June 18.
While some of racing's leading national stars compete in the $750,000-added Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) and the $400,000-added Fleur de Lis (gr. II), there are four other stakes races on the "Stephen Foster Super Saturday" program that have attracted strong lineups of their own.
A decision is expected June 8 on whether William S. Farish's Midway Road will run in the $750,000 Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I), the main event on Churchill Downs' $1.85-million "Stephen Foster Super Saturday" scheduled for June 12, or in the $250,000 Brooklyn Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park the same afternoon.
Select Stable's Take Charge Lady, a narrow loser to reigning "Horse of the Year" Azeri in her only start of 2003, and a trio of major stakes winners from the barn of Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel head the list of 28 fillies and mares nominated to the $300,000-added Fleur De Lis (gr. II) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Derby Winner Materiality Dies
- 'Chrome' Cruises to Awesome Again Win
- Ectot Stuns Flintshire in Hirsch Turf Classic
- Gormley Upsets FrontRunner Field
- Tom’s Ready Wins Ack Ack; Runhappy Fourth
- Forever Unbridled Cruises in the Beldame
- Joking Gets First Grade I Win in Vosburgh
- Bullet Train Gets First Stakes Winner
- Paulassilverlining Takes Muddy Gallant Bloom
- Leading Jockey Gallardo Heads to New York