The star-crossed sophomore campaign for Shanghai Bobby, last season's unbeaten 2-year-old champion, came to an end with his announced retirement Sept. 29 due to an injury.
Undefeated Shanghai Bobby wrapped up an Eclipse Award Nov. 3 with a gutty head victory over 19-1 outsider He's Had Enough in the $2 million Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) Nov. 3 at Santa Anita Park.
The standout among this year's juvenile males will likely shine at the Breeders' Cup. His pedigree, however, raises questions about his stamina when it comes to next year's classics.
Undefeated Shanghai Bobby, the only stakes winner in this year's $400,000 Champagne Stakes (gr. I), shook loose of pacesetter Goldencents rounding the bend and romped to victory Oct. 6 at Belmont Park.
Undefeated Shanghai Bobby used a stalking trip on the outside under Rosie Napravnik before pouring it on in the homestretch to capture the $400,000 Three Chimneys Hopeful Stakes (gr. II) on closing day Sept. 3 at Saratoga.
Irish-bred Bahama Mama, a steady speedster still seeking recompense for a flawed graded stakes debut in the United States, and the ultra consistent Victorina, who has never before raced on grass, will be the co-high weights at 118 pounds in Oak Tree's $100,000 Senator Ken Maddy Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Santa Anita Oct. 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Fair Grounds Preps a Tale of Two Sexes
- Lenny's Place: Spring Training Edition
- Rock Diva Dances to Auckland Cup Victory
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Lopez Lets El Kabeir Be 'The Boss'
- Slideshow: On the Way In Uruguay
- Wise Dan Back Under Tack March 4, 2015
- HOF Trainer Jerkens in Intensive Care in FL