Trainer Rebecca Maker had a tough choice but she made the right call Saturday when It's No Joke captured the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) by one length over the 13-10 choice A.P. Arrow.
Stan E. Fulton's favored Uncle Denny surged to the front on the home turn and won drawing off for jockey Russell Baze, capturing Saturday's $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Bay Meadows.
Taking advantage of a red-hot pace, Stan E. Fulton's Fire Slam and jockey Pat Day smoked past the leaders on the outside in mid-stretch and cruised to an easy 5 1/4-length victory in the $103,499 Matt Winn Stakes for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Stan E. Fulton's St Averil inched past Lucky Pulpit in mid-stretch and edged away to a 1 1/2-length victory in Saturday's $150,000 Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita.
Stan E. Fulton's Roll Hennessy Roll, scratched from Monday's Lazaro Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. III) after developing a slight foot bruise, may turn up next in the Riva Ridge Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) on the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) undercard June 7, trainer Rafael Becerra said.
Stan E. Fulton's Crackup, who finished sixth in the El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) on March 8 at Golden Gate Fields, underwent surgery last week to remove bone chips from both front ankles. He will be turned out for several months, trainer Rafael Becerra said.
Even-money favorite Roll Hennessy Roll wrested the lead from Jimmy O at the quarter pole and cruised to an easy win in Saturday's $125,000 Hollywood Prevue Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Divining Rod On Target for Preakness Stakes
- Grade I Winner The Tin Man Dies at 17
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Top Three Derby Finishers Stretch Legs Monday
- Arrests in Connection With Derby Night Death
- Anti-Slaughter Bill Introduced in Congress
- GI Winners Untapable, Lea Work in Kentucky
- Chinese Buyer Lands Top Two Mares at Inglis
- 'Sea Hero' Symposium Set for May 30